The World Rogaining Championships (WRC) are the sport’s premier event. The Championships are held every one to two years in some of the best rogaining terrain a country can offer and have the highest technical standards. The location rotates around the world providing everyone with an opportunity to rogaine in Europe, Australasia, and North America. The World Rogaining Championships are for everyone in the sport: for elite to recreational competitors wanting a quality event.
The 17th World Rogaining Championships will be in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California, United States of America on 1-2 August 2020. Management of the event will be by the Bay Area Orienteering Club in conjunction with a number of organizations and orienteering clubs who are members of OUSA. The combination of high altitude, intricate pine forests and physically demanding terrain will be sure to offer a true challenge to the world’s best rogainers.
Entries are open initially to pre-qualified entrants – those who have excelled in previous WRC events, regional championships or national championships. A list of pre-qualified entrants is on the event page. Entries will be opened to all rogainers closer to the event.
- 10WRC2012 Estonian TV Interview with Open Male Winners
- 11th World Rogaining Championships 2013 Russia - announcement
- 11th World Rogaining Championships 2013 Russia - Results
- 12th World Rogaining Championship 2014 South Dakota, USA - announcement
- 12WRC 2014 - Rogaining in South Dakota
- 12WRC 2014 South Dakota - Final Results
- 12WRC2014 South Dakota - Blog by one of the Open Men Winners, Silver Eensaar
- 12WRC2014 South Dakota - Provisional Results
- 13th World Rogaining Championships 2015 - Press Release - Awarded to Finland
- 13WRC2015 Finland - Men's Open & Veteran's competition an observation
- 1st World Rogaining Championships Beechworth Victoria Australia 1992 Results
- 2nd World Rogaining Championships Mt Singleton Western Australia, Australia 1996 Results
- 3rd World Rogaining Championships Kamloops Canada 1998 Results
- 4th World Rogaining Championship Christchurch New Zealand 2000
- 5th World Rogaining Championships Bohemia Czech Republic 2002
- 6th World Rogaining Championship Tucson Arizona 2004
- 7th World Rogaining Championships Warrumbungle Mountains NSW Australia 2006
- 8th World Rogaining Championships Karula Estonia 2008
- 9th World Rogaining Championship Cheviot North Canterbury South Island New Zealand 2010
- Latvia to host WRC 2017
- Preliminary Results & GPS - 13WRC 2015 Finland
- Update - second call for Expression of Interest to Host - 15th World Rogaining Championship 2017
- World Rogaining Championships 2015 and 2016 - call for Proposals
Each one or two years, the International Rogaining Federation awards the World Rogaining Championships to a national association, taking into account the IRF’s regional rotation policy, the experience of the organizing team and the benefits of holding the Championships in that country.
The decision is guided by these principles:
- The World Championship is the pinnacle event of rogaining
- The WRC has a role to ascertain the best rogainers in the world
- The “world” title necessitates a wide cross section of participants in all age and gender classes
- It must attract the qualified elite competitors from all member nations and beyond.
- Demands a consistently high level of technical challenge in all facets of the sport.
- Competitors expect a professional standard of organization of the event and associated activities.
The International Rogaining Federation will put out a call for bids to all nations to host a WRC several years in advance. There is a formal process to evaluate bids and vote.
The International Rogaining Federation will appoint an event advisor to provide organisers with assistance and the Australian Rogaining Federation has an International Development Fund that organising countries could apply for funding. Contact your countries IRF delegate if you would like to organise a World Rogaining Championship.